Sunday, June 14, 2015

An Announcement Concerning The Future of The Weather Centre

It's only been a month and a half since I signed off from here, but it seems like a while longer, no?

Since I ended The Weather Centre on our five-year anniversary of its foundation, April 26th, 2015, I've had some time to reflect, and do some work.

I've been able to take a breath, push back the keyboard, and re-energize myself after a very long five years of work. The first week or two of being away from the blog gave me a break unlike that I had experienced over the last several years.
However, particularly over the last couple of weeks, I've found myself hit at night (every other day, seemingly) with an incredible urge that I have to do something related to meteorology, in order to feel accomplished in my endeavors. I've already wrapped up my tornado research, so I've had to resort to long hours staring at my computer, never really getting much done, but still feeling that burning desire to actually accomplish something.

Then, a few days ago, someone told me that perhaps that burning desire had come about because I had stopped blogging. At first, it seemed somewhat absurd, since my tornado research needed attending to. But now that I've had time to think it over, it really does seem that posting my thoughts about the weather puts my mind at ease; the very mind I wished to put at ease when I ceased posting on this blog.

So, to confirm what some of you have been discussing over the last couple of days...


I am coming back to The Weather Centre.


This 'return' of sorts will come with a markedly different posting regimen, which I will break down below.

The articles listed below will be published:
- Over the next few weeks, I will publish my Preliminary 2015-2016 Winter Forecast. I will announce a publication date in coming days, but as I've always done, you can expect it to be at high noon on a Saturday.
- I will publish an Official 2015-2016 Winter Forecast further down the road.
- I will publish extended discussions on winter storm systems, cold air outbreaks, and other winter phenomena.

Changes will be made to the following types of articles:
- There will be severely limited, if not non-existent postings during the late spring through middle of summer.
- Severe weather and tropical cyclone postings are not anticipated, unless threatening a large portion of the U.S.

Basically, I'm trying to say that I'm coming back to The Weather Centre just to discuss what I love, which is winter weather. I don't plan on making attempts to post in the spring and summer, since I firmly believe that is what drove me to initially stop posting.
Additionally, please do not interpret this as just another ploy to mess with your emotions, given that I had already announced my 'retirement' from this blog. I take this announcement very seriously, and I hope you're still willing to hang on for the ride this coming winter.

Stay tuned for additional information and postings in coming days.

Andrew

19 comments:

Inside the Rock Poster Frame said...

Glad to hear you are back at the keyboard for us. You are the only accurate one and miss seeing the updates !! Welcome back, insert Godfather III GIF haha

Dean said...

Glad you're going to be posting about winter events and your winter forecasts. This has gotten me excited for winter already! Take care.

Unknown said...

I am really glad you have decided to come back. I really only read during the winter as I love to track the massive Michigan winter storms which can equal a day off of work (teacher)! Thank you for coming back!!!

Mainemanstu said...

I am so glad you are returning to do what you love best"Winter" and blogging--See you later--I am so happy about the future in your work.

Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear this...I too am a winter fan.

Caregiving in Love said...

How does the old saying go? . . . . . . . Oh yes, . . . . . . "don't look a gift horse in the mouth?" Welcome back Andrew.

stephen ansell said...

Excellent decision Andrew -- i have missed being educated. I look forward to those winter forecasts and any other big events that maybe you could touch on. -- Thanks -- STEVE

Shawn said...

Welcome back Andrew, I have missed your updates!

I know El Nino is here and I do want California and other areas near the west coast to get their drought quenching rains, but I am hoping to have a cold and snowy winter 2015/2016 because while we had some cold days/nights and some snow it was nowhere near a harsh winter.

Is it possible to have a harsh winter during an El Nino and if so what has to occur to make it happen. Also even in an El Nino can the Siberian snow cover still have an effect?

Anonymous said...

This is great news, Andrew. I have always found your winter forecasts to be pretty much on the mark, such that some 10 days or so out, I can plan snowmobiling trips in the Northeast US. You've been able to predict storms several days out with better accuracy than the major forecasting outlets. You've predicted warm ups and thaws further out. I'm very pleased you've decided to keep this blog alive for the coming winter.

Anonymous said...

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I have missed that beautiful brain of yours! Tell us what you see with El Nino. Although I don't know if I could stand another snowless winter I would gladly sacrifice the snow for the west coast to get out of that drought. Wish we could send them some of the rain we've had here in IN over the last six days!

Glad your back!

Frank-o said...

I knew it!!!....Andrew:! I have posted up here and on your Facebook page several times that I would rather have less posting from you then none at all.......I can see why you got burned out....... so to speak......I hope you can find a balance this time around....It is important that you do......WELCOME BACK!! I for one am "ONE HAPPY CAMPER"!!!....Looking forward to "WINTER" more then ever now!!....Peace!!!!.......Frank-o

escAPEe said...

Looking forward to reading your posts for winter weather.

The media and Internet are full of public and private sources for severe and tropical forecasts. Too many sacrifice accuracy to draw attention to themselves-- and this spills over to their winter forecasts.

You had been my "go to" source for the most accurate mid-term and long-term winter weather forecasts. This is definitely your passion and your niche.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Nice!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are ready!

Anonymous said...

Glad you've had a rest and a chance for some reflection. Now that you are back focusing on winter, some of us can relax a bit as you put your relaxed mind into understanding, predicting and communicating about winter
weather. Thanks for taking up the challenge. Ellen

Wally in Huntley said...

Andrew you had and I hope you still have plans for higher education. You seem mature enough to where you can handle both. Sure am glad you returned.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! You're back!! I am willing to follow your blog as long as you are willing to do it. Winter is what I am interested in, so if that is all you do it is OK by me.

Anonymous said...

Very excited Andrew. We're not registered on your site, but my boys and I follow you in the winter as we love to ski and your predictions help us plan our outings.

Tonja said...

Do what you love. I am with you. Winter weather is infinitely more interesting. :)